The Adventures of MJ

An interesting blog about MJ and his adventures

Monday, March 13, 2006

Belated Harrogate Message

Unfortunately my camera is a battery guzzler, however I did get a chance to take some pictures (well two) of the Liberal Democrat Spring Conference in Harrogate. The town, is very nice and it was cold and there were snow everywhere.

My itinerary for the day was, as well as other members of the York LibDems was listening to debates on ethnic minority candidate selection, educational reform and the freedom of speech in the main auditorium. Speakers included Simon Hughes MP, Alistair Carmichael MP, Vince Cable and others besides. One lady even made a referrence to Star Trek V: The Voyage Home. Ideal.

I later went to two fringe meetings, one on the future of the EU and bringing the the EU's parliament closer to Westminster and the rest of the UK and the other about how the LibDems should meet the challenge of David Cameron.

It was my first conference and it was a very entertaining day. Saw Ming Campbell too, if but briefly. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of Hughes speaking, as my camera was hiding at the bottom of my bag at the time.


As you can see, it was a chilly start to the day. Above is my attempt at an artistic picture of a snow covered hedge on the front garden.


Above is the David Laws MP mid speech. I was wondering why my camera wasn't working and then I realised I had it on camera mode. For those of you that like sound bites, I have about a 15 second clip of this speech.


This was the Future of Europe fringe meeting, with Nick Clegg there talking. It was a full house, so I had to stand at the back - by the table with the free wine. Ideal.
Although I didn't see him at the conference last saturday, Huhne was the man I supported in the leadership contest. I add this picture which I found on his campaign website. I assume he just stated "I wonder what this button does".